|
Martijn Moeling
martijn at xs4us.nu
Tue Feb 9 17:31:08 EST 2010
For people NOT using frameworks with lots of code I have a fake code compatible MOD_PYTHON module which runs on top of MOD_WSGI It works faster (No real benchmarks available, it feels much faster) and does not include support for publisher since I do not need it and don't even looked into it I do not even know what it is. Authorization is currently being developed, Session and Cookies work. It calls handler(req): end soon the AuthHandler(req), supports req.register_cleanup Basically it is WSGI API Bridge ..... Martijn On Jan 17, 2010, at 10:46 PM, Graham Dumpleton wrote: > 2010/1/18 Samuel Hazelett <alertmaster at yahoo.com>: >> I am little disappointed in the Apache Software Foundation for having taken >> mod_python under its umbrella only to allow it to wither. > > The ASF is a volunteer organisation. You can't therefore blame the > ASF. The problem is that users of mod_python (such as yourself), can't > be bothered contributing to mod_python any more. If you, or anyone > else, is truly passionate about mod_python then all you need to do is > step up and volunteer to take over the project, albeit that any > handover may be problematic due to inactivity of majority of prior > developers. This though isn't insurmountable as that is where the ASF > project management committees would step in and likely assist in > delegating control over to new contributors. > > At least in my role as member of the ASF, if I didn't care, I would > have removed myself from the mailing list over 2 years ago when I > stopped being interested in mod_python. Instead I still hang around > here and answer peoples questions. > >> If mod_python is moribund, what will happen to Mod_python at modpython.org? > > The modpython.org domain is not under the ownership of the ASF anyway, > nor is the content on the site. Both are owned by the original primary > author of mod_python and he is also missing in action. That they are > owned by him and not the ASF is part of the problem. That is, it was > always exceedingly difficult to get anything on that site updated. As > a result, certain things related to the site have decayed over time > and haven't been able to be fixed. > >> What's to say the new-fangled API won't suffer a similar fate? > > Because it is described by a Python PEP. These are as close as you get > to a standard in the Python world. See: > > http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0333/ > >> If, as you say Doug, WSGI API bridge is a better idea, then I shouldn't >> become/remain a Luddite and I "should get with the program". > > It certainly where the mindshare currently is. > >> I had brought mod_python into my workplace because of a, perhaps outdated, >> recommedation that it should be coupled with Django. >> With respect to the workplace, I work in a secured lab that makes it a small >> nuisance to bring anything new within its perimeter. >> For this reason, I do most of my learning/experimenting with non-sensitive >> test data on my home desktop. >> >> Maybe I should drop the Django idea, too. I haven't invested much time in >> it, nor bought the book. > > Django is not bound to mod_python. If you had read any books on Django > then maybe you would know this. The Django stack can quite happily run > on top of WSGI hosting mechanisms such as mod_wsgi. > >> I see mention of such related s/w as werkzeug, CherryPy, and pythonpaste. >> I'm barely a Python programmer, hand-jamming database connections and HTML >> reports. >> What's a newbie to do? > > Keep using Django since you have started with it already. Just read > the hosting documentation for Django and understand that it can run on > various hosting mechanisms. > > Other Python web frameworks are WSGI specific, but Django isn't. > > Graham > >> ________________________________ >> From: Doug Epling <wdepli at mikrotec.com> >> To: Samuel Hazelett <alertmaster at yahoo.com> >> Cc: Mod_python at modpython.org >> Sent: Sun, January 17, 2010 9:28:32 AM >> Subject: Re: [mod_python] bye bye mod_python, hello... what? >> >> Samuel Hazelett wrote: >> >> "unfortunately, mod_python is deprecated" >> >> What does this mean: deprecated >> Why? >> Does it mean there will be no future releases of mod_python? The "end of >> history!" >> I was just getting started. Woe is me/us. >> >> Yeah, I am the same way, especially, having worked with php some, with >> losing the concept of psp as well as the publisher handler. >> >> But from what I can tell the WSGI API bridge is a much better idea. >> mod_wsgi is designed to be to python what rails is to ruby. >> >> Except python is a standards based technology!;-) >> >> ________________________________ >> From: Graham Dumpleton <graham.dumpleton at gmail.com> >> To: clodoaldo.pinto.neto at gmail.com >> Cc: mod_python at modpython.org >> Sent: Tue, January 12, 2010 5:27:34 PM >> Subject: Re: [mod_python] bye bye mod_python, hello... what? >> >> 2010/1/13 Clodoaldo Neto <clodoaldo.pinto.neto at gmail.com>: >>> 2010/1/12 mog <lists at elasticmind.net>: >>>> So, the time has come. I need to start a new project and also migrate my >>>> old >>>> mod_python stuff to something else :( >>>> >>>> After all the sweat, blood and tears I put into learning about how Python >>>> web apps work, learning how to use mod_python, and how to put web apps >>>> together (using mod_python). It's really sad to think that a good portion >>>> of >>>> that effort seems lost because, unfortunately, mod_python is deprecated >>>> :( >>>> >>>> I looked at a few web frameworks but found they either simply didn't >>>> work, >>>> exhibited weird random unpredictable behaviour that was impossible to >>>> work >>>> with, or seemed to abstract so far away from real HTTP which made me feel >>>> uncomfortable. I finally settled on mod_python because it seemed to be a >>>> nice balance of powerful functionality and usefulness - oh, and it >>>> worked. >>>> >>>> With mod_python I felt as though I was working closely with the HTTP >>>> requests because I could use the request objects directly and, if I >>>> wanted >>>> (and I did), stick stuff in them to use in sessions. mod_python seemed >>>> pretty raw, but not so much so that I had to write my own request |